17 Facts About Cats That Made Us Love Them Even More –
Cats are amazing animals and that’s why so many people around the world adore them. We think that we know everything about them, but that’s not true because they always find a way to amaze us.
1. On average, cats spend two-thirds of their lives sleeping. So, a 9-year-old cat spent only 3 years of its life awake.
2. It turns out that a cat’s brain is biologically closer to our brain than a dog’s. We have the same parts of the brain responsible for emotions.
3. The biggest cat today is a liger. It can be up to 13 feet long and can weigh over 660 lb. The biggest liger today weighs 992 lb.
4. The smallest wild cat today is a black-footed cat. Females are 19 in long and can weigh just 2.6 lb.
5. The British and Australians believe that meeting a black cat brings good luck, whereas in Europe and North America, it is considered to be a bad sign.
6. The most popular cat breed today is the Persian cat. The next most popular is the Maine Coon and the Siamese.
7. There is a breed of cats that love water. It’s the Turkish Van. They love swimming because of their waterproof fur.
8. In the embassy of the Netherlands in Moscow, the employees noticed that 2 Siamese cats came to the building regularly and scratched the walls. It turned out that there were microphones of Russian spies hidden in the walls.
9. Many cats can find their way home despite long distances. According to experts, cats either understand where they are by the sunlight angle or they have magnetized cells in the brain that work like a compass.
10. The oldest cat in the world was Crème Puff from Austin, Texas that lived from 1967 to August 5, 2005, and died 3 days after its 38th birthday.
11. Cats can be distinguished just like people by their fingerprints, except instead of their fingers, it’s their noses.
12. Cats don’t have sweat glands all over their body like people. So, they sweat only through their paws.
13. Cats are very sensitive to vibration. They can sense an earthquake 10-15 minutes before people can.
14. Female cats are usually right-handed and male cats are left-handed.
15. Cat owners have a 30% lower risk of having a heart attack or a stroke.
16. It was believed that the first domestic cats appeared in Egypt but a discovery made in 1936 proved this idea wrong. In Cyprus, in a 9,500-year-old grave, there was a mummy of a kitten: it was killed to be buried together with the owner. This precedes the mentions of cats in Egyptian art by more than 4,000 years.
17. According to a Jewish legend, Noah prayed to God asking to protect the food on the Ark from rats. God made a lion sneeze and this was how a cat appeared.
It turns out that there is a special method of getting rid of a bad mood and many diseases. It’s called Feline-assisted therapy or treatment with cats. According to medical studies, cats can treat people in different ways:
- With sound: when a cat purrs, it makes a vibration from 16 to 44 Hz; this is a perfect frequency that stimulates the protective systems of the body and makes the immune system stronger;
- With heat: a cat’s body is usually a couple degrees higher than a human’s, so cats have a warming and an anti-inflammatory effect.
- With their magnetic field (animal energy: this way, a cat can relax you, improve your mood, neutralize stress, and treat depression.)