31 Facts You Never Knew About Cats –
1. Cats spend 70% of the day sleeping.
2. Exotics are the most popular breed in the US.
3. For 20 years, the mayor of Talkeetna, a small town in Alaska , was a cat.
4. In 2013, a cat ran for a mayor in Mexico.
5. The longest cat in the world is over 42 inches long.
7. Cats can, however, distinguish flavors in water.
8. The longest living cat ever died at the age of 38.
9. The richest cat in the world inherited $12.5 million when its owner passed away.
10. Purring actually improves bone density and promotes healing within a cat.
11. But cats don’t just purr when they’re content, they also purr when they’re under duress, or when they’re injured.
12. Many female cats are right-handed (right-pawed?) while many male cats favor their left paw.
13. A cat can jump about six times its own height.
14. Structurally, a cat’s brain is about 90% similar to a human’s brain. They’re intelligent, but most of the time, they can’t be bothered to express their emotions.
15. Of all its senses, a cat’s strongest is its hearing. They hear about four times as well as a human.
16. Cats are better at problem solving than dogs.
17. And they have a better capacity for visual learning than dogs as well.
18. Cats can change their meow depending on the situation, such as when they’re demanding to be fed.
19. If they exerted themselves, cats could run faster than Usain Bolt, the fastest living human.
20. Cats cover their waste in sand or litter as a sign of subservience to humans. If they don’t cover up their waste, it’s like they’re saying, “I’m not afraid of you, human.”
21. Cats use their whiskers to determine if they can fit in a certain space.
22. Cats can rotate their ears 180 degrees.
23. They can also move each ear independently.
24. Cats sweat through their paws.
25. Cats have a distinct pattern on their nose, like a human fingerprint.
26. According to one study, cats prefer to be petted on their face, especially around their mouths. They actually dislike being stroked around their tails.
27. When a cat rubs its cheeks or whiskers on you, they’re marking you with their scent. It’s a sign of affection, and your cat is essentially claiming you as its own.
28. The largest recorded litter of cats ever birthed was 19 kittens. Most litters are just four to six kittens.
29. Black cats may be a bad omen in the US, but in other countries, such as England and Japan, they’re a sign of good luck.
30. The oldest breed of cat is the Egyptian Mau. “Mau” actually just means “cat” in Egypt.